Charlie's Books

Charlie's Books
Buon Giorno, Amici!

Our motto ...

Leave the (political) party. Take the cannoli.

"It always seems impossible until it's done." Nelson Mandela

Right now 6 Stella crime novels are available on Kindle for just $.99 ... Eddie's World has been reprinted and is also available from Stark House Press (Gat Books).

Monday, May 5, 2014

Good Evening Mr. & Mrs. America (Round 2) … Night Train to Lisbon ... Racism in Sports? … Smell the Roses ...

Amici:


Good Evening Mr. & Mrs. America (Round 2) … I recently reread this gem of a novel by Richard Bausch for a simple reason—inspiration for the piece I’m working on. I remembered how much I enjoyed this book (see previous review here) and I wanted/needed to read it again. I’ve read pretty much everything by Bausch since first being introduced to his work in an MFA course a couple of years ago (or is it 3 years already?). Let me add one more WONDERFUL to the previous review … it is an engaging read that will not let you down … and for that reason, it is EXTREMELY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED …


 
 
Night Train to Lisbon … another movie I wished to hell I’d read the book before seeing, but I was glad I watched this one anyway. A fine cast, including some familiar faces playing major roles. It’s a history lesson with drama and a walk back in time as Jeremy Irons searches for the story behind a book left behind by an attempted suicide he stopped from happening. A fine movie.




And speaking of racism …

 

Man, fall in love with a sport and (snap your fingers), just like that, it starts to turn to shit. Not only were the racist “tweets” aimed at Montreal Expos' (I know they’re the Canadians, but I’m calling them the Expos for beating my Bolts) PK Subban as nasty as nasty gets (proving assholes follow all sports), but then I had to watch Kane on the Blackhawks do an NFL/MLB/NBA chest pounding routine, highlighted by him yelling, “Show Time” to the crowd.

I really hate that shit and wish the goal celebrations weren’t becoming as bad as the crap we have to tolerate in the other major sports. Fellas, it’s nice you scored a goal. It’s nice if you scored three goals, but how about leaving it at arm pumping and maybe a howl or two, and leave the “look at me” bullshit to baseball, football and basketball?

I’m just sayin’ …

And excuse me for not getting too excited about the latest round of schadenfreude. While Los Angeles Californians pat themselves on the back for fearlessly emoting their hatred of all things Donald Sterling, perhaps it’s time to boycott the games instead. It’s bad enough Sterling will realize about an 700 million dollar profit for being forced to sell his team, but adding coins to the bank the same week his racist tirade went public seems to me a bit of a sellout as well.

I’m just sayin’ …

 
Yeah, he’s a racist dick, but what I found interesting about this fiasco was the young girlfriend sleeping with the enemy (somebody say prostitution?) Not that that makes her a bad person … and then there’s wife in the background … come on, look at this guy! He looks like he’s melting … he looks like Joan Rivers! You’d have to pay ANYONE big bucks to look at him naked, never mind touch and/or insert him in some body part.

 
So much for money = happiness, eh?

In the meantime, remember, amici … the clock is ALWAYS running … we have but so much time before it (and we) expire … every morning we’re a day closer to the ultimate end of game (my wife hates when I say this, but it’s the truth). So, enjoy it while you can … whether you have the gelt or not (and happiness obviously has nothing to do with gelt—see Donald Sterling), make the best of what you have to work with and take time to smell the roses … read a fuckin’ book (try one of those dopey Stella crime novels if you need a sleeping aid) … see a fuckin’ movie (we review them here all the time and the one up above is a fine one) … listen to a fuckin’ symphony (country western/rock/jazz/blues) tune … and so on. Life really is way too short.

I’m just sayin’ …


—Knucks

Hey, Donald Sterling’s “girlfriend” …